6 Horrifying Highlights From HBO’s Outcast Pilot (Which Is Free To Stream Right Now)
Arriving on HBO Canada this Friday, Cinemax’s Outcast has an impressive genre TV pedigree. Based on the comic by The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, the show’s pilot was directed by rising horror auteur Adam Wingard (You’re Next, The Guest). Just as The Walking Dead riffs on George A. Romero’s original zombie trilogy, Outcast puts a fresh spin on ideas and images imprinted on the brains of horror fans through 1973’s The Exorcist.
In the first episode, we meet Kyle Barnes (Almost Famous’ Patrick Fugit), a thirtysomething outsider haunted by memories of his mother’s demonic meltdown. When a boy named Joshua falls victim to a similar force, Kyle intervenes—with shocking results. Here are some of the horrifying highlights from Outcast’s unsettling series premiere.
1. During the show’s shocking opening, a troubled Joshua smashes a bug with his head then proceeds to chow down on his own finger.
2. Reverend Anderson brings some religious staples (a cross, holy water) into the mix—with little success.
3. Proving he’s infected with something significantly more severe than the common cold, Joshua levitates impressively.
4. When Kyle stops by for a visit, the demonic-sounding Joshua acknowledges him by name, jumps him, and sucks some paranormal vapour from his mouth.
5. During Kyle’s next visit, another brawl breaks out, but Joshua complicates matters by levitating mid-fight.
6. While understandably shaken, Kyle fights back with sunlight and blood dripping from his freshly bitten hand.
If you can’t wait two days to find out more, we have good news: you don’t have to. Whether you’re an HBO Canada subscriber or not, you can watch the first episode now.