Tatiana Maslany WILL Win An Emmy This Year—And Here’s Why
For the second year running, Orphan Black’s Tatiana Maslany is nominated for an Emmy in the crazy-competitive Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series category. The last time the Canadian actor was nom’d, the internet went wild and support for the only Emmy nominee that plays anywhere between five and eight characters per season (11 clones total over the course of the series if you’re counting) was overwhelming.
2016 will be the second to last chance the Academy has to get it right since the announcement that next year’s fifth season of Orphan Black will be the last. Up against Claire Danes (Homeland), Viola Davis (How To Get Away With Murder), Taraji P. Henson (Empire), Keri Russell (The Americans), and Robin Wright (House of Cards) we’re predicting a big Maslany win. Here’s why:
1. She holds the whole show together as Sarah. Where would the sestras be without Sarah to keep them united, push them towards solving the clone conspiracy, and get them in a bit of trouble once in awhile (read: every episode)?
2. She brings big laughs as Alison. Whether it’s at Ali’s own expense (or, more frequently, Donnie’s) her super-high-strung personality is, ironically, an excellent way to cut through the show’s tense storylines and inject a bit of humour. It’s also amazing to see her cut loose occasionally. Dancercise, anyone?
3. She gets Eastern European weird with Helena. Last season’s scorpion friendship, this season’s dramatic last minute rescue of the Hendrix family—and all of it done with deadpan delivery that keeps us wondering if Helena’s in on the joke… or if there is one at all. Considering her training as an expert assassin, we’ll let Helena make the call.
4. She terrifies as Rachel. We thought that previous seasons had shown us just how evil Rachel Duncan could be. We were so, so wrong. Rachel has never been more powerful or more frightening than she was at the close of this most recent season—the fate of all her sisters rests with her. Definitely not a good thing.
5. She makes everyone love Cosima. Including the Academy members at the Emmys? Come on people—how could you not vote for this face?