Jason Slashes His Way Through A Friday The 13th Origin Story
The ’80s are not generally regarded as a golden age of American movies, but many of the franchises launched during that decade have gone on to endure, remaining relevant and newsworthy three decades later. Friday the 13th is one of the prime examples and, as we explained last month, the franchise has been on the brink of a revival for several years. According to producer Brad Fuller, that long awaited reboot is almost ready to roll.
Speaking to The Reel World about another reboot (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows), Fuller confirmed that a new Friday the 13th movie is on the way. As for the disturbing rumour that Jason Voorhees might be returning in found footage form, Fuller is pleased to report that he has abandoned that idea. “There was a lot of found-footage scripts that they wanted us to make,” he said. “I was not going to do that because I don’t think that can exist in Jason Voorhees’ world.”
In other promising news, Fuller reveals that the script was written by Aaron Guzikowski, the talented screenwriter behind 2013’s Prisoners. “Aaron’s story has great characters… you kind of have to understand Jason Voorhees, so we go back and we kind of started over and work our way forward,” Fuller explains, raising red flags by hinting that they might be heading in the same direction as Rob Zombie’s problematic Halloween remake. “It’s an origin that no one has seen before. Obviously Pamela’s there,” he said, referring to Jason’s murderous mother. “But it’s a little bit different from what you’ve seen before.”
The next instalment of Friday the 13th is tentatively scheduled for release on Friday, January 13th, 2017. For proof that Fuller is seriously considering another slasher origin story, watch the interview below.